Together with several book lovers on the Dingle Peninsula I helped found the Dingle Literary Festival. Our aim is to host a weekend devoted to celebrating authors, books and writing. Our aim was to bring authors to Dingle so that book lovers don’t need to travel to the book events. The festival is a community based non-profit festival that strives to bring the joy of reading and writing to the peninsula.
I am a reader. I love reading books that are engaging, that capture the imagination and are thought provoking. I enjoy both fiction and non-fiction and adore reading a book that, when I finish, I want to share with other readers.
I am a mentor for independent bookshops in the UK and Ireland. The scheme is funded by the Unwin Charitable Trust and in partnership with the Booksellers Association of Great Britain and Ireland.
- Mentor, Booksellers Association / Unwin Charitable Trust Scheme
- Head of UK Jury for European Prize for Literature 2019
- Costa Biography judge
- A judge of the Independent Bookshop Book of the Year award
- On the BMS Marketing Judging panel
- The Bookseller Market & Publicity Panel discussion
- Discussion Panel Society Young Publishers
- Word of Mouth Judging Panel for Conville & Walsh
- Debut Novel Discussion Panel at London Book Fair
- Author HQ Discussion Panel at London Book Fair
- Translated Fiction Panel at British Library
- Judge International Bookshop of the Year Award LBF
Career in the Book Industry
I have 30 years of experience in customer facing and logistics management within the publishing and bookselling industries. This has given me a deep understanding of customer needs and how to balance that with commercial needs of companies. By building up confidence of both management and staff, necessary changes are implemented to turn around a business and quickly see rewards, bottom line improvements as well as industry awards.
I have been a member of the Booksellers Association Council and the Booksellers Association Independent Booksellers Forum.
Specialties: • Continuous learning from customer experience to ensure that businesses are perfectly placed in today’s ever changing worlds.
- Have the ability to implement necessary changes for business to ensure best practice and continued financial success.
- Have the ability to view an issue and lend the necessary analytic skills to resolve it.
I owned Dulwich Books in South London for 12 years and have been working in the book industry for 30 years. I began in publishing with Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, the company that became known as Academic Press and most recently Reed Elesvier. I moved into bookselling in 1999 when I bought The Beckenham Bookshop. In 2002 I acquired Dulwich Books and in 2007 sold the Beckenham Bookshop.
Dulwich Books was voted London Independent Bookshop of the Year in 2012, 2013 and 2014 and in May 2014 was voted by the book industry as the best bookshop in the UK and Ireland. I sold Dulwich Books in September 2015.
I was Events Manager at Village Books in Dulwich from January 2017 to July 2018.
I am a non-executive director Batch Ltd a free payment service for booksellers.